Chinese Consul visits, seeks closer ties with Edo

(Nigeria) As a follow-up to President Muhammadu Buhari’s recent visit to China, the Chinese Consul-General in Nigeria, Mr. Liu Khan, has visited Governor Adams Oshiomhole of Edo State to explore the investment potentials in the state and locate more Chinese industries in the state.
Governor Oshiomhole has strengthened diplomatic relations with China with a view to deepening investment ties with the people and government of China.
Receiving the Chinese Consul-General in his office, Oshiomhole thanked him for leading a delegation of investors to his office.
He said “Let me thank you, Mr. Khan, for leading a delegation to pay us a visit. They, along with other Chinese companies, have set up various factories in Edo State. I have visited their factories and I was very impressed by what I saw, the quality of products they are producing whether the ceramic tiles and iron rods which we badly need for our construction industry.
“They shared with me their plans to even further expand their operations. I have had conversations with them about the possibility of new investments in Edo State because we have so much natural endowment, natural resources besides oil and gas which we have in sufficient quantity. Edo State actually has the highest deposit in the volume of gas deposit. And so, with such a huge gas reserve, this State will continue to play a very important role in the economy of our country.
 “And under the power arrangement, I also know that this State is meant to be one of the major hubs for power supply and distribution. Recently, a private company, Azura Power Plant has commenced the process of laying about 450 megawatts of power which will be completed within the next one or two years, and the construction is still on. And there are other various power plants that are already in existence. And so, in the very near future, we will have enough power supply coming from Edo State. I know that from my conversation with some Chinese companies here, they told me that with power, they have so much more they can do.
“Right now, we have a minister who I personally believe has the leadership ability that is required to deal with the challenges of power supply. They are already doing something. So, hopefully in the very near future, the problem of power supply will be substantially addressed.
“have taken time to take some of the Chinese to some sites where we have various solid minerals, precious stones because I believe that we have enough limestone and other precious metals which can be developed, and these things can easily produce granite, marble, and in addition to other manufacturing plastics, glass, etcetera. I think so much is possible. So, I think that the real benefit we are expecting from the visit of Mr. President to China and the very cordial relationship that now exists that translate politics to economy and diplomacy is that we need more Chinese factories and less finished Chinese goods so that our trade balance can be addressed.
“We have a very young population in this State, and I am sure our Chinese brothers who are here will tell you how resourceful the workers have been. I also want to assure you that compared to other parts of the country, we have a more secured environment and businesses require security, security of personnel, security of investments and every other thing that the state will provide.
“So, I will want us to deepen our relationship and I want to have a further conversation.”
Speaking earlier, the Chinese Consulate General, Mr. Khan said, “I sincerely hope that Your Excellency and all the distinguished guests will continue to share and support the development of the Chinese companies and the Chinese that work and live in your state. I want to do my best to promote friendly and cooperative relations between China and Edo State. As you know,   President Buhari had a very successful and fruitful visit to China. During his visit our two countries signed an agreement involving infrastructure, industrialization, agriculture, financial and so on.
“So I think this is the best time to foster development friendly and cooperative relations between our two countries.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

UBTH @50: Obaseki hails institution’s role in strengthening Edo healthcare

NBC has no powers to impose fine on broadcast stations --Court