My husband wants to beat me to death, wife tells court

(Nigeria) A middle-aged woman, Modinat Opeloye, on Wednesday, cried before a Grade A Customary Court, Enuwa, Ile-Ife, Oyo State to save her from being beaten to death by her husband, Ismael.
Opeloye had on March 16 filed a petition in which she pleaded with the court to dissolve her six-year- old marriage.
The mother of two accused Ismael of constantly beating her, uncooperative attitude, lack of care and threatening her life.
``Woe unto the day I met him, for I have had no rest of mind since I married him. He has not been caring for me and my children for awhile. Apart from all the problems he is giving me, he is addicted to raining curses on me and my children and he is threatening to kill me.
``Please save me from him and dissolve the marriage for the safety of my life and in the interest of my children,’’ she pleaded.
Ismael, in his submission, admitted the allegations, saying that everything his wife said was true.
``It is true that I beat her because she is stubborn. She does not obey my instructions and gets me annoyed sometimes,’’ Ismael said.
He also agreed with the dissolution of his marriage, saying, ``if she leaves, I'll marry another one; uncountable women are waiting for me outside’’.
The President of the court, Chief Bunmi Adegoke, granted Opeloye's plea and dissolved the marriage with immediate effect.
Adegoke ordered that no dowry would be refunded while awarding custody of the two children to the petitioner for proper care.
He warned her against taking the children to quack doctors whenever any of them fell sick, and advised her to rather patronise government hospital.
He ordered Ismael to pay N4,000 monthly as upkeep allowance for the children, adding that he would be responsible for their education, healthcare and stationeries.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

UBTH @50: Obaseki hails institution’s role in strengthening Edo healthcare

Tinubu departs Nigeria for Europe on working visit