Pastor wants 32-year-old marriage dissolved over beating from wife

(Nigeria) A 65-year-old pastor, Kunle Akinseyi, on Thursday pleaded with an Igando Customary Court in Lagos to dissolve his 32-year-old marriage, alleging that his wife constantly beat him.
Akinseyi told the court that his wife, Titilope, with whom he had six children, had turned him into a punching bag.
"I live every minute of my life in fear; save me from the cruel hands of my wife; I have suffered so much in silence.
‘’Anytime we have misunderstanding, she can beat the hell out of me.
"Most times, it is our neighbours that always come to rescue me from her hands," he said, describing his wife as a ‘’troublemaker and a fighter’’.
"My wife's hobby is fighting; she fights me and neighbours regularly, and because of her frequent fighting, we are always ejected from any house we rented," Akinseyi added.
He therefore prayed the court to dissolve the marriage, saying that he was tired of the union and was no longer in love.
In her response, Titilope, 56, denied that she was beating her husband.
"I have not raised my hands towards my husband since the beginning of our marriage," she said.
Titilope, who described her husband as an ‘’irresponsible father’’ said that he was not ready to train their children.
"When I got pregnant for our sixth child, he denied the pregnancy; he went to my family in the village and told them that I was carrying a bastard child and that they should come and take me.
"He refused to give me money for ante-natal; so, I delivered my baby in the house.
‘’It is our first born that has being training the boy till now," she told the court.
The mother of six denied being ‘’a fighter’’, saying that her husband always owed landlords and that was why they were always evicted from their accommodations.
Titilope alleged that her husband, though a pastor, wanted to marry another woman and that it was the reason he wanted to divorce her.
She begged the court not to grant her husband's wish, claiming she still loved him.
President of the court, Mr Adegboyega Omilola, advised the couple to maintain peace and adjourned the case till November 16.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

UBTH @50: Obaseki hails institution’s role in strengthening Edo healthcare

NBC has no powers to impose fine on broadcast stations --Court