I inherited ‘virtually empty treasury’----Buhari

(Nigeria) President Muhammadu Buhari has said that the country was almost broke, pointing out that he inherited a "‎virtually empty treasury" with debts running into hundreds of millions of dollars.
Buhari spoke on Monday at a meeting with members of the State House Press Corps in Abuja. He said it was a disgrace that Nigeria was not able to pay workers salaries as a result of bad management of the country’s resources.
He added there was ‎already a lot of pressure on his government due to the huge expectations of Nigerians on what they desire from the administration.
Buhari called on the media to cooperate with his administration, as he choose Femi Adesina to be his Adviser because he is 'one of the best'.
"Whether my job is a difficult one or easy it is up to him, but I'm here to thank you in advance for ‎what good and ill you are going to do to me.
"I have to quickly come and see you and welcome you to this place. I hope ‎what happened of recent between the former president and one of you (the seizure of the accreditation of the Radio Germany reporter) will not happen between me and you.
"I hope as we start, this culture will develop. My first 100 days is bringing so much pressure with treasury virtually empty, with debts in millions of dollars, with state workers and even federal workers not paid their salaries. It is such a disgrace for Nigeria. I think Nigeria should be in a position to even pay its workers. This bad management that we find ourselves in, we really need your help to protect us from people before they match on us," he said. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

UBTH @50: Obaseki hails institution’s role in strengthening Edo healthcare

Tinubu departs Nigeria for Europe on working visit