Suicide bomber kills 26 in Borno Mosque

(Nigeria) Twenty six people were killed on Saturday after a suspected suicide bomber detonated his Improvised Explosive Device, IED, in a Mosque near the Monday Market in Maiduguri, Borno Stats.
A trader at the market, Mallam Modu Walama, told newsmen that the blast occurred shortly before the commencement of the afternoon prayer at the mosque.
``I had wanted to say my afternoon prayer but something told me to go inside the market.
``But immediately I left the vicinity, I heard a loud blast emanating from the mosque,'' Walama said.
He said that on hearing the blast, he took to his heels to escape being injured.
``I cannot say exactly the casualty figure but I know so many people died,'' Walama said.
Mallam Mohammed Abubakar, another trader, corroborated the claim.
``I think about 20 people died going by the magnitude of the blast,'' Abubakar said.
Reacting, Mr Aderemi Opadokun, the Borno State Commissioner of Police, confirmed the blast.
``A suicide bomber strapped with IED exploded himself in Alhaji Haruna Mosque at Galadima Kyari drive Ali Kotoko Road near the Monday Market.
``The incident happened around 3.30 p.m., while Asar prayer was being offered at the mosque,'' Opadokun said.
``Twenty six people were confirmed dead while 28 were injured,'' he said.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

UBTH @50: Obaseki hails institution’s role in strengthening Edo healthcare

NBC has no powers to impose fine on broadcast stations --Court