3 charged to court in Enugu for robbery, rape

(Nigeria) The police in Enugu on Wednesday arraigned three middle-aged men before Justice Catherine Nwobodo for armed robbery and rape.
Malachy Okechukwu, Chigozie Ihesiulo and Chukwuebuka Onyi were accused of robbing Linda Ofozie, James Elom and his wife of N343,000 on February1, 2010 at No. 5 Orji Street, Ugbo-Ezeji in Abakpa Nike, Enugu.
They were also accused of raping the second victims’ daughter at the scene of the incident.
During Okechukwu’s statement of defence, he told the court that he was arrested for fighting not for armed robbery.
“On February 1, 2010, I was going home after work as a conductor and a group of boys attacked me at Nzekwe Street which was very close to No. 128 College Road, Ugbo-Ezeji where I lived,” he said.
Okechukwu said he came to the police check point to report the incident when a man arrived and told the police that he had been robbed in his house and then the police men asked him to wait behind while they attended to the man.
“After a while, the police men came back with the man and asked me to come and show them where I was robbed. On our way to the place, the Man told the police that he was suspecting me.
“Before I knew it, the man held my cloth which resulted to a fight and the police arrested two of us and took us to their station and locked me up.
“These two people I was charged to court with were the people I met in the cell. I did not know them before.
“I am not an armed robber let alone raping someone’s daughter,” Okechukwu said.
The court adjourned the case after cross-examination of the accused person by the state counsel, Mrs Esther Anih, during which the accused said he did not know the man before and did not rob any citizen.
The court adjourned the case till January 29 for continuation of the defence.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

UBTH @50: Obaseki hails institution’s role in strengthening Edo healthcare

NBC has no powers to impose fine on broadcast stations --Court