I support zoning in NBA's national election---- Agbakoba SAN

(Nigeria) Mr Olisa Agbakoba, SAN, former President of the Nigerian Bar Association, NBA, Monday, called for the retention of the zoning formular in the election of national officers of the association.
He insisted that though zoning was not in the NBA’s constitution, but since the arrangement had been accepted by all, it was the turn of the South West to produce the next president to take over from Mr Okey Wali, SAN, whose tenure expires in August this year.
He said “I regret that the 2014 NBA Presidential election is getting out of hand and I fear there will be dire consequences. We must not allow the elections become a “do or die” matter. We are not politicians.  That is why when I was President I adopted the inclusion policy so that all zones have the opportunity to produce the President.
“We all know that by the zoning convention, it is the turn of the South West region to produce our president. I appreciate the concern and disappointment of the Midwest that it has not been included in our zoning arrangement. This is why when I was President I set up the inclusion committee to review this at our National Executive Council, NEC meeting in Maiduguri, Borno State, but unfortunately this has not materialised.
“Based on our current arrangements, it is the turn of the South West region and we must all support candidates from the zone. Zoning in the NBA was established at Chief Philip Umeadi’s residence in Onitsha. Although not a binding convention, all past Presidents have been elected based on zoning.
“I recognise and empathise with the exclusion of the Midwest, but it is in our overall interest to maintain the zoning arrangement.  I suggest we do not depart from the zoning arrangement, but immediately take steps to address the grievances of the Midwest. Personally, I will be voting for a candidate from the South West region.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

UBTH @50: Obaseki hails institution’s role in strengthening Edo healthcare

Tinubu departs Nigeria for Europe on working visit