Man remanded for raping his 15-year-old daughter

(Nigeria) Chief Magistrate Sofiat Oyediran on Wednesday in Ibadan, remanded Idowu Sanni, 48, in prison for allegedly raping his 15-year-old daughter.
Sanni was arraigned in the Chief Magistrates' Court sitting in Iyaganku, Ibadan, on a one-count charge of raping his daughter. The prosecutor, Insp. Sunday Ogunremi, told the court that Sanni allegedly had unlawful carnal knowledge of his daughter (name withheld) on October 23 at 9.15 a.m. in Ifedapo Amuloko area of Ibadan.
Ogunremi said the offence contravened Section 357 and punishable under Section 358 both of the Criminal Code Caps.38, Vol. II, Laws of Oyo State, 2000.
The plea of the accused was, however, not taken.
The counsel to the accused, Mr Akin Ajidagba, prayed the court for adjournment to allow for the filing of bail application at the state High Court which has jurisdiction over rape cases.
Oyediran granted the request and adjourned the case to December 9.
He ordered that the accused be remanded in prison.
After the court session, the accused, a native of Ibadan and an architectural draughtsman, attempted to talk with pressmen, but his counsel prevented him from doing so.
However, the rape victim told newsmen that her father had been having intercourse with her since she was 10 years old.
``My father has been raping me repeatedly with threats to disown or kill me if I tell anybody about it. He always did it with me in the morning, especially before I leave for shop. When I got fed up, I narrated my ordeal to one of my neighbours who told the Federation of Muslim Women Association of Nigeria, FOMWAN,’’ she said.
She claimed that FOMWAN later took up the matter and reported same to the police.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

UBTH @50: Obaseki hails institution’s role in strengthening Edo healthcare

Tinubu departs Nigeria for Europe on working visit